The World According to Jen

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Peter Pan

It's official. I'm a grownup. I'm not sure when it happened, but it happened and the reason I know this is because I own a minivan and I'm happy about it. Yikes. And to think that it wasn't that long ago that I heard some kids talking (while looking in my direction) about the grownups looking at them and I turned around to see where those grownups were.

There are certain things I know did not make me a grownup: getting older, getting married, having a baby, graduating from law school, blah blah blah. One certainly doesn't have to be a grownup to do those things. I think maybe the process started when my dad died and moved along some when my mom died 19 months later. Throw in my miscarriage and that might be how it happened.

I asked my husband, G, when he thought it happened to me and he didn't know. He doesn't consider himself a grownup, notwithstanding the minivan. Lucky duck. So I asked my brother and he said that he thought it happened when G and I started looking into a bigger place shortly before H was born this March. Could be.


I suppose it was inevitable. One can only go through so many major life events and not have it happen. But did it really have to happen so soon? I haven't even turned 35 yet. In any event, maybe it's not such a bad thing. And it doesn't mean I can't be bummed that we didn't get to ride the Peter Pan ride at Disneyland last week or enjoy Oreo cookies for breakfast.

1 Comments:

  • Well, you've always been an old soul, my dear, now your choice of automobile has caught up. You're still stacked and gorgeous and fun, if that helps. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home