The World According to Jen

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

This Makes Me So Mad

I just read this article and it makes me very angry. My mom was one of those people who didn't get tested at 50. She said it was because her insurance company didn't authorize colonoscopies at 50. I think she had a sigmoidoscopy, which said all was ok. When she finally did, it was too late. She had an aggressive form of cancer that didn't respond to any treatment. Age 60 is way too young to die.

And I realize that there are days when I am very angry with her for not fighting for the right test sooner -- maybe they could have prevented things from happening. Maybe they could have caught it earlier and treated it earlier and it wouldn't have spread. Maybe not.

And I am angry at her insurance carrier (and any other insurance carrier) that doesn't specifically and proactively advise every patient to celebrate his or her 50th birthday by getting his or her plumbing snaked. Yes, it's unpleasant, but last time I checked, cancer and dying are much worse.

So please, please, PLEASE do this for me: if you know and love anyone age 50 or over, make them get checked out. And if their insurance carrier is being stingy about it, make them fight for the test. In the long run, the test is much cheaper for the insurance carrier than four types of chemo, repeated MRIs, catscans, and petscans, two surgeries on the abdomen, major reconstructive surgery after the cancer spreads to her leg and breaks her femur, a month in a skilled nursing facility after the surgery, and more drugs than I can ever imagine.

I hadn't planned on getting all soapboxy today. Oh well. Just wait until next week when I discuss the evils of smoking.

3 Comments:

  • Your mom was way too young. And, you know, not to OVERSHARE or anything, but for non-cancer related reasons I had to have a colonoscopy recently. I was terrified and mortified. I have to tell you, they gave me so much sedative that I don't remember a thing. It really wasn't bad. Anyone who needs to know more details to convince themselves is more than welcome to ask me. I'll get over my "eeww" and answer you honestly.

    So, yes, please get tested.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 AM  

  • i know this might seem petty, but my family's cat just died of colon cancer and no one even knew she ws sick until the day before she died.

    obviously you can't screen animals like people, but i will be getting tested for as much as possible regularly.

    By Blogger dizzy von damn!, at 11:43 AM  

  • My mom died at age 58 from a liver tumor that was caused by metastasized colon cancer. I know she never had a colonoscopy -- she wasn't great at dealing with reality. She lived 6 weeks after they told her there was nothing they could do. No matter how bad a colonoscopy is, it can't be worse than subjecting your family to watching you die from complications of advanced colon cancer. I understand your anger as well -- I have been angry at her for a long time (she died 4 years ago this July).

    Oh, I'm also named Jen (BP stands for a nickname) and I'm a law student (I see from your profile that you used to be a lawyer).

    Take care.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home