The World According to Jen

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Funniest Thing My Mom Ever Said

This is a true story.

About six weeks before my dad died, my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer and had surgery to remove part of her colon. Once she recovered from surgery, she began chemotherapy. She was 58 at the time.

I promise, I'll get to the funny part. I just wanted to give some context.

So anyway, I went down to LA to be with my dad when he passed and then to help my mom go through and clean out their apartment. A few days after he died, my mom and I were sitting in her living room, taking a break from looking for insurance policies and other important papers when she looked at me and said the following:

Now that your father is gone, I just want to let you know that I'm not going to take this as an opportunity to be come promiscuous.

I fell off my chair laughing. I guess is was the outlet I needed. I think she was surprised that I found it so funny, but at least my hysterical laughter made her laugh, so that's not a bad thing, right?

1 Comments:

  • Totally. My grandparents had been married for 70 years. That's right...70. After my grandmother passed away, my grandfather (who was around 94 at the time) looked at my mother and said "I might be too old to look for another wife."

    Good...lawd...

    By Blogger Auntie Sassy, at 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home