The World According to Jen

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Size Matters

After several weeks of trying to learn how to knit socks, turning the heel, knitting the gusset, and getting back to my original number of stitches, I have to scrap the sock and start over. Why, you ask? Because it turns out that the sock that I have been knitting is big enough to fit an NBA center. Or Frankenstein. Or me 9 months pregnant with incredibly swollen feet.

This stinks. I even wasted time doing a gauge swatch. The pattern called for size 3 needles and 7 stitches per inch. Well, I am a tight knitter, so I used size 4s. The result, lilac socks that will fit no one I know.

So I am paying Doof to rewind the yarn and I'll start over. I'll either switch to smaller needles or use the same needles and cast on fewer stitches. I am not pleased. It sucks to have figured this all out when I am about 4 inches away from being done.

I am almost ready to start the sleeves on Bug's sweater, so at least that's going ok. But now I am beginning to doubt that it will be the right size too. The good news is that even if it is too big, she will grow into it.

4 Comments:

  • Aww, that sounds very discouraging. Sorry it happened. Try again though because socks are a lot of fun!

    By Blogger Emma, at 3:35 PM  

  • what the Christ is a gusset?

    By Blogger The Angry Piper, at 5:12 PM  

  • Piper: It's the part of the sock where you decrease stitches after knitting the heel. Sorry it's not more interesting than that.

    By Blogger JenL, at 5:43 PM  

  • Part of the fun of baby sweaters is making them a bit too big. They look so cute and cuddly all swathed in gushy yarnage. I can't wait to see the PICTURES!!!

    By Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl, at 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home