The World According to Jen

Monday, May 08, 2006

The Powers That Be Are Laughing At Me

A lot.

I have been looking for a real job for like forever. But then you knew that. So that fabulous place that is Craigslist had an ad that seemed perfect for me. I applied. I didn't immediately get an interview out of it. Instead, I got a 12 part questionnaire. I guess it's a way to weed people out. Me, I sat down at the computer and detailed all the experience I had that made me great for this job. Apparently, they bought it because they called me in for interview. Of course, I had to follow up on the thing because the HR guy with whom I was corresponding had been on vacation and forgot about the job posting.

So anyway, I went in for the interview about ten days ago and it went really well. You know an interview has gone well when they tell you right then and there that they want you back for a second interview and to think about which people you might want to me.

The callback was scheduled for 10am this morning. I dug up a different suit to wear because I can't wear the same one to both interviews. No, I don't think anyone would notice, but I would know. I arrange for G to take Bug to day care so I can be sure to get on the road early, because stress bunny that I am, I insist on making sure there is no way I can be late. Translation, I'm there god awful early.

I check in with the receptionist and ask for the person I'm supposed to meet with first. She says, actually, you will be meeting with HR guy first. Ok, fine. He's a good guy. We had a nice chat last time. I just go with it.

We get into his office and he gives me the news -- I won't be meeting with the two interviewers because over the weekend, someone bought the company. Swell. It would have been nice if they had called me to let me know not to come in, but HR guy said that he didn't know until he saw it in the paper this morning. Then he was in meetings to talk about it. My guess is that the HR department there will be going bananas until things shake out.

I took the news in stride. What choice did I have? He thanked me for not getting mad about it and tried to assure me that he thought the job would still exist post merger. But no one knows for sure. So I made my pitch that I want the job, but that if things happen that the job doesn't happen (it's a brand new position), to keep me in mind for other things. I guess I tried to earn more good karma points. But dang. I'm tired of this crap.

Then we talked about our kids for awhile. And I told him that I would be on vacation for two weeks beginning on Friday. And I left.

Perhaps while I am basking in the sun in Puerto Vallarta, under sunscreen number 50, of course, they will get their shit in order and offer me some good news. I have earned at least that much.

1 Comments:

  • it was so nice to meet you and bug.

    she truly makes the ovaries ache.

    have fun in mexico!

    By Blogger dizzy von damn!, at 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home