The World According to Jen

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Job Hunting Sucks

On Friday, I had an interview with a small law firm in the city. It was pretty clear that it was not the job for me. The firm agreed, because yesterday I got the ding letter, dated Friday. Well, I will give them this, they are prompt and at least they bothered to send the letter. I'm still waiting to hear from a firm with which I interviewed about six weeks ago.

So why am I annoyed? Well, this was the letter they sent:

"Dear Ms. L____.: (Please note the extra period before the colon.)

Thank you for your recent application for our associate position. Although I was impressed with your credentials, attitude, and professionalism, I believe another individual would more closely match our needs. (How nice to know that my attitude impresses people. This is not the "we chose someone else for the job" language. Rather, it's much more the "you suck and we are going to keep looking" language, as he made it clear that they had just started their search.)

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, and success in your job hunt. (And to think that I am usually the one accused of using too many commas.)

Sincerely,
Joe A. Lawyer, Esq." (Impressed with your own title much? Most attorneys I know don't waste their time signing letters with "esq." after their names.)

Jerk.

4 Comments:

  • Joe A. Lawyer is a poindexter. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:14 AM  

  • :'(

    If it makes you feel any better, I am always genuinely impressed with your attitude.

    By Blogger Auntie Sassy, at 1:16 PM  

  • I have been called one of the most pretentious, pompous asses on the planet, and I wouldn't put Esq. after my name.

    Incidentally, it's one of those titles ANYONE can affix to their name. In other words, you don't have to earn it and it doesn't mean anything.

    PS: Tel...Re: asshat...nice word, ennit?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM  

  • ... just like Bill S. Preston, Esq.

    By Blogger JenL, at 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home