The World According to Jen

Monday, July 31, 2006

Just Plugging Along


There's not a whole lot to post here at Bug's house. I'm still job hunting, Bug is still being cute, Doof is at summer camp for a week, and G is unreasonably happy, having downloaded the long version of the theme from The People's Court.

We survived a family shindig at BIL/W's house. It was my niece's eighth birthday. Only, the invitation wasn't pitched as a "let's celebrate her birthday" party. Instead, we got an e-vite that invited us to a party celebrating all the family's summer birthdays and summer anniversaries. Swell. I would have preferred to have attended a child's birthday party, thanks. And then I was asked if we could include my birthday. Given that my birthday is in November, that seemed pretty dumb to me, so I didn't bother to answer that question. It turns out, they thought I was a summer birthday too. Given that G and I have been together for 7 years, you would think they would know this by now. But then again, BIL/W are pretty oblivious.

So we went swimming and had burgers and birthday cake from scratch (which tasted a bit off, perhaps because W made it with soy milk and soy butter) and all was fine. Yeah, G's dad told off-color jokes in front of the eight year old. And yeah, G's parents smoked a lot near us (we were all outside so they figure it won't bug us). They were wrong. But whatever. We knew it was time to leave when BIL decided to announce in front of everyone that he thought we probably had enough money to buy a house near them. What he doesn't understand is that we don't want to live near them. We were pretty happy when they moved. Now they can't call us at the last minute to ask us to do favors for them. He just wants to run the family and take some credit for when they do well. He's the sort that were he to help me find a job, he would take credit for it for the rest of my life and never let anyone forget it that I was indebted to him. Thanks, but I'll pass.


In other news, I finished this scarf, which I think I will give to my aunt. I knit it with Be Sweet Magic Ball yarn on size 13 needles. I rather enjoyed how it kept changing textures, but it was a bit difficult to work with. It sheds. A lot.

3 Comments:

  • so tiny in such a big chair!

    By Blogger dizzy von damn!, at 8:47 AM  

  • soy birthday cake?

    HUUUUUURLLLL!

    By Blogger The Angry Piper, at 4:53 PM  

  • :) I like the juxtaposition of the soy cake and smoking. Some people just don't get it, do they?!

    Bug is looking as cute as ever. You could move near me and I would just eat up her weetle toes!!

    By Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl, at 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home